Saturday, 6 October 2012

An extraordinarily kind gesture


As a writer, my days are filled with excitement, self doubt, creativity and worry. 

What if my work is rubbish? What if they hate me? What if I have missed a full stop or have a spelling mistake? To be honest, on occasion it verges on paranoia and I know many if not all writers suffer the same doubts.

Obviously as writers we need good reviews, they are the key to the door to success but sometimes something happens that is just as good or even better. A simple thank you eases your mind, a complimentary comment lifts the weight off your shoulders, even if only for a few days. 

However, today something happened that has lit up my writing world. It doesn't involve huge sales or glowing reviews but had just as good an effect on me.

A few weeks ago, a reading group in America asked if they could read ‘The Dead Virgins’ as their monthly choice. Of course I was honoured and sat back to await their feedback. I was obviously very nervous. However, imagine my surprise when today, I had to go up to the local post office to pick up a parcel and found it had been sent from that reading group in America as a thank you. 

The parcel contained a bottle of single malt, 12 year old whiskey as a gift and a thank you card.

Needless to say, I am blown away.

For a group of people, whom I have never met to go out of their way to do that means so much, it humbles me. I should be thanking them for reading my book, not the other way around.

So, if you are reading this Bobbi and friends, thank you for your extraordinary gesture. I am very grateful and hopefully one day, if success comes knocking, perhaps we can all sit down together and discuss the part you all played in this author’s journey.

THANK YOU

2 comments:

  1. Mr A a criticism from your number one fan -
    "if success comes knocking" etc as above -
    success is knocking already embrace it! Gill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy the whisky Kevin, you deserve all the success you get.

    ReplyDelete